Crock Pot Cooking
Don't overlook the slow cooker as being just as valuable a kitchen tool as your stove or oven. While it's long been recognized as an ideal way to cook roasts and stews, it can do so much more - and we'll show you how.
Our recipe collection will let you bake bread, fix breakfast, and even make a cake in your crock pot (in addition to all the tasty dinner and side dish recipes).
view entire crock pot recipe collection
featured crock pot recipe
This spicy version of the classic sloppy joes sandwich is made with ground beef and is simmered in the crock pot. It gets its heat from spicy V8 juice, chili powder, and jalapenos.view recipe
recent crock pot recipes
crock pot recipe categories
today's top 10 crock pot recipes
search the crockpot recipe collection
convert your favorite recipes to crock pot recipes
|Oven Or Stovetop||High Temp|
|15-30 minutes||1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours||4 - 8 hours|
|35-45 minutes||3 - 4 hours||6 - 10 hours|
|50 minutes - 3 hours||4 - 6 hours||8 - 16 hours|
Cooking times will also vary by how full your crock pot is, how dense the ingredients are, and the temperature of the foods when you add them.
crock pot 101
2) Place vegetables in the bottom of the crock pot and place meat on top. Fresh vegetables like carrots and potatoes take the longest to cook. Frozen vegetables may be placed on top of meat as they usually do not take as long.
3) Crock pot cooking times listed with the recipes are guidelines - actual cooking times may vary based on the brand of crock pot, size, amount of liquid or food, ingredient temperatures, etc. Certain brands cook at a much higher temperature than others. Get to know your crock pot so you can adjust times accordingly.
4) The crock pot should be filled 2/3rds full when cooking for best results. Scale recipes up or down to fit your size crock pot.
5) Make sure the lid fits snuggly. Crock pots create extra steam inside to keep foods moist. If the lid lets that steam out your food may dry out or even burn.
6) Do not put large pieces of frozen meat (such as whole chickens or roasts) in the crock pot. They will not heat evenly and dangerous bacteria can form in a short amount of time.